International Student Information

For a detailed overview of all documents and next-steps for international students coming to GW, please visit the GW Graduate Admissions website.

International Student Next-Steps

Questions about Fall 2020?

Are you concerned about the impact Fall 2020 will have on your status as an international student? Check out our ISO Frequently Asked Questions page for further insights.


VISA Information

If you have been admitted to a graduate program at the School of Engineering & Applied Science and require a visa to study in the United States, our office will work with you and the GW International Services Office (ISO) to obtain the I-20 or DS-2019 forms necessary to request an F-1 or J-1 visa from the U.S. government.

Please do not attempt to begin the visa process until you have been contacted by our office. If you provided a visa request form with your application, we will send you an email confirming receipt of your form. If you did not provide the form with your application, we will contact you to request this information. 

Steps to Obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 Form (PDF)


Funding Information

Submit acceptable financial funding documents. Individuals (parents, siblings, etc) listed on the Visa Request Form as the source of financial funding must provide financial documents. Bank documents should include the name of the account holder, the liquid funds currently available in the account, the currency, and dated within the past twelve months. If you are being funded by an individual, they must provide financial documents showing full funding for one full year in your academic program. If you are being self-funded, you must provide financial documents in your name showing full funding for the entirety of your academic program. 

Funding Documents Checklist