Combined Five-Year Program Application Requirements

Before You Apply

Please check the qualifications and list of approved programs to make sure you are eligible for admission to the desired program. 

Steps to Apply

  1. Create an online application account.
  2. On the application form, check off “Joint Degree” and select “Combined/Five Year Program” under Other GW Programs.
  3. Indicate the semester in which you will begin working solely on your graduate degree. This should be the Fall term AFTER your graduation from your undergraduate program.
  4. Attach the following materials to the application:
    1. Unofficial copies of GW transcripts (screenshots from Banweb are OK).
    2. Unofficial copies of transcripts from any courses taken for credit outside of GW, regardless of whether the courses were transferred and applied toward your GW bachelor’s degree.
    3. Statement of purpose (250-500 words) in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format.
    4. Two letters of recommendation.
  5. Request the application fee waiver prior to submitting the application.
  6. Submit the application and email [email protected] indicating that you are applying for a Five-Year Program and requesting an application fee waiver. 

*If admitted to the program, apply for discounted tuition through the Grad2Grad Program.*

Application Timeline

Spring of Junior Year

This should be the end of your junior year semester or the point at which you obtain 90 credit hours you are allowed to begin the application process. Those steps are as follows:

  • Apply online for your desired master’s program.
  • Deadline to apply:
    • Priority deadline: July 1
    • Final deadline: November 1

If you are admitted, you will receive an admissions letter with next-steps. Please accept your admission and follow the additional instructions in the letter.

Fall of Senior Year

This should be the fall semester of your senior year. At some point during the semester, make sure you schedule an appointment with a SEAS Graduate Professional Advisor to ensure that you enroll in the right courses that can double-count toward your master’s degree. Please note that all double-counting courses must be approved by your advisor.

Spring of Senior Year

This should be your undergraduate graduation semester. Make sure you:

  • Apply to graduate from your undergraduate program by May. This is done through the Registrar's office.
  • Enroll in the right classes that will double-count toward your master’s degree. You should schedule an appointment with a SEAS Graduate Professional Advisor to make sure you are doing this correctly.

*Note: During this time, you may experience holds on your account due to the system undergoing updates to transfer your record to the graduate level. If this occurs, please contact [email protected]