Graduate Ambassador Program
The SEAS Office of Graduate Admissions & Student Services (OGA) recruits and trains current and incoming students to serve as SEAS Graduate Ambassadors. SEAS Graduate Ambassadors play pivotal roles in leadership by building and facilitating the graduate student community at the School of Engineering & Applied Science. Ambassadors engage with prospective, new and current graduate students, as well as participate in activities to encourage research awareness, innovation and community building. Each ambassador serves a one-year term that includes assisting with a variety of events and initiatives such as recruiting, programming, community building, diversity, equity & inclusion efforts.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Attend recruiting and outreach events with admissions staff (some events may occur over weekends or require travel outside of the DC area)
- Answer inquiries and communicate with prospective and admitted students via the Unibuddy chat platform and over email
- Assist the OGA with planning and facilitating programming throughout the year to support SEAS graduate students
- Provide the OGA with content for a variety of social media platforms
- Meet with prospective/current students virtually and/or on-campus to share your experiences as a current student
- Be a peer advocate for SEAS graduate students by promoting the inclusion of students from all backgrounds and journeys.
Qualifications & Eligibility:
- Students who are enrolled in an on-campus graduate degree program at SEAS (any level and field of study) are eligible to apply to become a Graduate Ambassador.
- Students should have a strong academic background. Continuing students must be in good academic standing (3.0 GPA or higher, no holds on account).
- Graduate Ambassadors must have availability to meet periodically throughout the semester during regular business hours and attend events. Meetings may be attended remotely or in-person. If a meeting or training will be facilitated only in-person, Ambassadors will be given ample notice that they will be expected to be on campus to attend in-person. Ambassadors will also be expected to attend events that may be during regular business hours and occasionally hosted in the evening and/or on weekends.
- All graduate ambassadors will be required to attend an orientation and training that will be facilitated by the Office of Graduate Admissions & Student Services during the 1st or 2nd week of classes for the fall semester.
- Prior to the graduate ambassador orientation and training, all graduate ambassadors will be required to attend the “Welcome to SEAS Happy Hour” for all SEAS graduate students on Friday, August 26 from 4pm-7pm.
SEAS Graduate Ambassadors are appointed for one academic year and are compensated through a $1,000 stipend per semester ($2,000 for the year).
The Office of Graduate Admissions & Student Services will cover all travel costs associated with attending recruiting oriented events including airfare, hotel accommodations, local transportation (if necessary) and meals.
Students who are interested in applying for a Graduate Ambassador position for the 2022-2023 academic year will need to submit a completed application form and upload a copy of their current resume.
The deadline to apply is Friday, August 5, 2022.
Applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified no later than Wednesday, August 10, 2022. Interviews will be conducted virtually.
Please email [email protected] with any questions you may have about the SEAS Graduate Ambassador position.