All applicants - first-time or transfers - to a Master of Science (M.S.) or Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) program at the School of Engineering & Applied Science must meet the admissions requirements to be considered for any of the programs at SEAS.
NOTE: Data Analytics only accepts students for fall start terms. No students will be admitted to the Data Analytics program for a spring start term.
*Please note: The application must be completed by the applicant. Any application found to have been completed or submitted by someone other than the applicant will be withdrawn from consideration. All documents and materials must be the applicant's own; forgeries and plagiarism will not be accepted.
To apply for Fall semester is January 15.
To apply for Spring semester entry, the deadline is September 1.
To apply for Summer semester entry, the deadline is March 1. (non-visa-seeking students)
Applicants must provide the following materials to be considered for any graduate program at SEAS:
- Complete online application form
- GRE exam scores
- International applicants: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Application Fee
Applications must be submitted online. There is no paper version of the application available.
You may submit multiple applications through the same account; however, the application fee will apply to each application submitted.
If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the application, please contact [email protected].
Please upload scanned copies of unofficial transcripts from each college or university you attended (regardless of whether credit or degree was obtained) to the online application form.
Instructions for submitting transcripts:
- Scan the front and back of each page of the transcript.
- Scan in the highest resolution possible.
- Upload documents in .pdf or .docx format.
Please do not mail hard copies of official transcripts to our office, as they will not be added to your application package.
For international applicants, please see additional requirements for foreign transcripts.
The Graduate Records Examination (GRE) is required of all applicants, except for those applying to Construction Engineering, Data Analytics, and current SEAS undergraduates applying for a Five-Year Program.
There is no minimum score required on the GRE. However, applicants are encouraged to score above the 50th percentile in each section of the exam.
Scores must be sent to institution code 5246 through the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Please do not include a department code.
*Note: The GRE will be waived as a requirement for all applicants for the Spring 2021 semester start term.
SEAS does not accept GMAT exam scores as a replacement for the GRE.
TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic
Required for visa-seeking international applicants only. View details and instructions.
A minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation are required to be submitted with your online application form.
On the online application form, you must provide the full name and email address for each of your recommenders. The system will automatically send them an email with a link to submit the letter online.
The letters should be from a professor, work supervisor, or colleague who is able to speak to your potential and abilities to succeed in the master's program.
Applicants must upload a statement of purpose in 250-500 words that clearly states their purpose in undertaking graduate study at the George Washington University; academic objectives, research interests and career goals; and related qualifications, including collegiate, professional and community activities.
The statement of purpose must be written by the applicant. Any essay found to be plagiarized, copied, or written by someone else will result in the immediate termination of the application's review.
A current résumé or curriculum vitae (CV) should be uploaded with the online application form in .pdf or .docx format.
If you have published articles in peer-reviewed publications, please include them in your resume as a hyperlink.
If you require a visa to study in the United States and/or hold a bachelor's degree from a foreign institution, you must also follow the International Admissions requirements to successfully apply for a graduate program at SEAS.
The application fee is $80. This must be paid by credit card (all types accepted) online upon completion of the online application form. Applications cannot be reviewed until this fee has been paid.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you submit your application and paid the application fee, you may no longer make any changes to your application.
The application fee may be waived for applicants in the following categories:
- Current SEAS undergraduate students applying for a Five-Year Program
- Current SEAS graduate students applying for a Certificate Program or changing their field of study
- Booz Allen Hamilton employees participating in the Cohort Program
- Members of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces (active duty or veterans)
- Applicants from an international partner institution
- Attendees from an online information session with a promo code
For questions, contact [email protected].
- Check the status of your application online at any time by logging back into the application system. The user ID and password is the same one you used to create the application.
- Monitor your email inbox regularly. You should receive an email each time your application moves through the review process.
- Check out the Frequently Asked Questions for answers to common questions about the application review process.
- At any time, please contact us at [email protected] or 202-994-1802 with questions.