Applicants who require a visa to study in the United States must also fulfill additional requirements in order to be considered for admission to a graduate program at the School of Engineering & Applied Science:
- All visa-seeking international applicants are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores to SEAS to be considered for admission.
- Please provide only your most recent test scores. Scores may not be more than two years old.
Minimum Score Requirements
- 6.0 overall with no individual score below 5.0.
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have an overall band score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- 80 on the Internet exam (iBT) or 550 on the paper exam
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 100 on the Internet exam.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a 600 on the paper-based exam or 100 on the Internet-based exam.
- 53. Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a minimum score of 68.
Exceptions are granted to applicants who:
Hold a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction AND the official language of the country in which the university is located
Hold a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from an institution located in a country that qualifies for the English language exam exemption.
If you are unsure whether you qualify for an exception, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For IELTS: Please follow the instructions outlined by IELTS on sending results to GW. No institution code is required.
- For TOEFL: Please follow the instructions outlined by ETS. Use institution code 5246 when sending scores to GW.
- For PTE Academic: Please follow the instructions outlined by Pearson to send scores reports to GW. No institution code is required.
If you elect to send any of your test score reports by mail, please send them to the address below and our team will verify the scores with the corresponding test administration:
School of Engineering & Applied Science
Office of Graduate Admissions & Student Services
800 22nd St. NW, Suite 2500
Washington, DC 20052
- All transcripts must be scanned and attached to the online application form. Please do not mail hard copies of transcripts during the application process.
- Applicants who attended and/or received a degree from a foreign institution must submit transcripts in English as well as the original language.
- Applicants who attended an institution in which English was the primary language of instruction, but not situated in an English-speaking country, must also submit transcripts in both English and the original language.
- For transcripts from institutions in India: please scan full marksheets, not summaries of grade reports, demonstrating the grade received in each course for each semester.
- SEAS does not accept transcript evaluations by third-party organizations (ex. WES) in place of the original transcripts from the institution.
It is not mandatory to submit the visa request form or other visa-related documents as part of the application package.
Although there is a section on the application where you can upload these documents, it is not necessary to do so. You will only be required to provide these documents once you have received admission to SEAS and accepted your admissions offer. Providing or not providing these documents does not penalize or delay your application's review in any way.