Tuition Discount Scholarship Details for Academic Year 2023-2024
The information below is for students who have been admitted to an on-campus MS program for the Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters.
What does a tuition discount award entail?
- The tuition discount listed on your admissions and/or award letter will be applied to your student account prior to the beginning of each semester you are registered in the graduate program. The tuition discount will be applied to tuition for courses that are a part of your degree program taught by the School of Engineering & Applied Science (SEAS).
- Some tuition discount awards are only applied to a maximum of 9 credit hours per fall and spring semester. If you are registered for more than 9 credit hours per semester, you will be required to pay the entire credit hour rate for the additional credit hours. The tuition discount is applied to a maximum of 6 credit hours per summer session. Your award letter will state if there is a maximum number of credit hours you award will be applied to for each semester.
Does the tuition discount award apply to the English for Academic Purpose (EAP)
- Yes, the tuition discount award does apply to the EAP course tuition. If you are required to take EAP, that information is listed in your admissions notification letter.
What is the cost of tuition for the 2023-2024 academic year?
- Graduate students are charged tuition based on a per-credit hour rate. The per-credit hour tuition rate for on-campus graduate SEAS programs is $2,075.00.
- Most courses you will register for are a total of 3 credit hours per course. Full-time graduate students are required to register for 9 credit hours per semester. Part-time graduate students can register for less than 9 credit hours per semester.
Do I have to be registered as a full-time graduate student in order to receive the tuition discount?
- Students who are not studying at GW on an F-1 or J-1 visa do not have to be registered for full-time graduate student status in order to receive the tuition discount.
- Students who are studying at GW on an F-1 or J-1 visa have to be registered as a full-time graduate student (minimum 9 credit hours per semester except during your final semester if you are approved for a reduced course load) per the regulations of their student visa.
Is the award renewable? What does “good academic standing” mean?
- The tuition discount will be applied to your student account for each semester you registered in the graduate program at SEAS and are in good academic standing. Good academic standing entails having a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above after your first semester in the program. If your cumulative GPA does fall below a 3.0 during your program, the tuition discount can be revoked.
Award amounts and details for each individual award are listed below:
Students who have received the SEAS Merit Award will receive a $4,668.75 discount for up to 9 credit hours each fall and spring semester (and up to 6 credit hours per summer session).
Students who have received the SEAS Dean’s Award will receive a $9,337.50 discount for up to 9 credit hours each fall and spring semester (and up to 6 credit hours per summer session).
Students who have received the SEAS Distinguished Graduate Student Award will receive a $14,006.25 discount for up to 9 credit hours each fall and spring semester (and up to 6 credit hours per summer session).
Students who have received the SEAS Honor’s Award will receive a 25% tuition discount. If a recipient is registered for 9 credit hours per semester, the discount is $4,668.75. If a recipient is registered for 12 credit hours per semester, the discount is $6,225.00.
Recipients of the SEAS Honor’s Award may be eligible for the additional 10% tuition discount through the Grad2Grad program. Please note, students must apply to the Grad2Grad program in order for the discount to be applied to their student account. More information about the application process can be found here.
Additional Questions about your tuition discount award?
Please contact Ms. Brittany Wright, Director of Graduate Enrollment Management & Advising at SEAS at [email protected].
Science and Engineering Hall (SEH)
800 22nd Street NW
Washington, DC 20052