For the Spring 2020 semester, SEAS has adjusted the option for most on-campus graduate courses to be taken as credit/no credit. This means that SEAS on-campus graduate students will have the option to take each of their graduate courses as credit/no credit for this semester only.
Students who still wish to complete their courses for a letter grade may continue to do so and need not take any further action. For many students, receiving a grade is important for future plans including graduate school, Ph.D. programs, veteran or visa status, or other career opportunities. Additionally, students are encouraged to finish courses in a timely fashion, in order to stay on schedule to graduate.
We encourage students to consult with their SEAS advisors (Faculty Advisor or Graduate Professional Advisor) if you wish to use the credit/no credit option in any of your classes. This decision should be made after consultation and consideration of your options. Please note that this decision does not need to be made immediately. All SEAS on-campus graduate students may request a switch in their credit/no credit status in a course up until five days after your grade is posted.
GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR ON-CAMPUS GRADUATE STUDENTS
- Students of any academic standing may take as many courses as they wish credit/no credit for this semester only, and this number will not count against the usual number of credit/no credit courses you are allowed.
- The Credit/No Credit grade option will not impact the student's GPA.
- Program and elective courses may be taken credit/no credit.
- A credit will suffice in courses that are prerequisites for another course.
- Students should check to make sure that they are receiving grades in courses that are required for graduate school, Ph.D. programs, veteran’s benefits, athletic or visa status, etc. Please consult your specialized scholarships and fellowships, or ISO advisor about such requirements.
- The credit option will count to satisfy a minimum grade when a course has a minimum grade to move on to a higher-level course or to avoid repeating the class.
- Determinations of probation will be held in abeyance this semester and will not be affected by the choice of taking a course credit/no credit.
- A grade of C- and above is considered a credit.
- You will not be able to change the grade mode back to a letter grade once the form is submitted.
If you'd like to request that a course be switched to credit/no credit, please complete the form below and email it to [email protected] from your GW email address with the subject line "Spring 2020 Credit/No Credit Request" no later than five days after your grade is posted.
Please note: you may be required to download Adobe Acrobat to complete the form, which you can do here. Please download the form to sign. If you have any questions or need technical assistance with Adobe Acrobat, please contact the SEAS Computing Facility at [email protected] or by calling (202) 994-0123.