The Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering is designed to prepare students to apply engineering principles to problems in medicine and biology; to understand and model attributes of living systems; and to synthesize biomedical systems and devices in order to improve human health.
The program is strongly interdisciplinary, as students choose from a large array of areas of study across the university, such as biology, public health and regulatory affairs. Course topics may also include: cancer therapy, cardiac electrophysiology, biosensors, microfluidics, medical imaging and image analysis, optogenetics, robotics and ultrasound applications in medicine.
With the university's central location in Washington, DC, students are able to take full advantage of opportunities available at nearby research and government institutions, including the GW Hospital, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the National Institutes of Standards and Technology (NIST) and Children's National Medical Center.
- Credit hours: 30
- Thesis and non-thesis options: Students may choose to complete the final 6 credit hours through a thesis or coursework.
- Duration: Two years (full-time) or three years (part-time)
- Preferred bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering. Admission may still be offered with a condition of taking deficiency courses during first semester.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) achieved at the time of bachelor's degree conferral.
- Successful submission of online application form, exam scores and other documents as outlined in the admissions requirements.
- Master's Programs
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Cybersecurity in Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Regulatory Biomedical Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Telecommunications Engineering
- Doctoral Programs
- Certificate Programs
- Five-Year Program
- Preferred International Partnership Program
- Booz Allen Hamilton Corporate Partnership Program
- Flex-Start Program
- Online Programs