For the Spring 2021 semester, SEAS will allow each graduate student registered in an on-campus graduate program to take up to one graduate course per semester for credit/no credit.
Students who still wish to complete all of their courses for a letter grade may continue to do so. For many students, receiving a grade is important for current requirements and future plans including admissions conditions, courses that require a minimum grade, graduate school, Ph.D. programs, veteran or visa status, or other career opportunities. Additionally, students are encouraged to finish courses in a timely fashion, so you stay on schedule to graduate.
We encourage you to consult with your SEAS advisors (Faculty Advisor or Graduate Professional Advisor) if you wish to use the credit/no credit option for one of your courses. This decision should be made after consultation and consideration of your options. All SEAS students may request a switch to their credit/no credit status in a course starting on Thursday, April 15th, 2021 and up until Thursday, April 30th at 5:00 pm EST.
- Students of any academic standing may take one course as credit/no credit for the Spring 2021 semester, and this number will not count against the usual number of credit/no credit courses you are allowed. If you have extenuating circumstances and would like to petition to take more than one course as credit/no credit then please fill out this form and submit it with your registration transaction form (RTF).
- Program and elective courses may be taken credit/no credit.
- A credit will suffice in courses that are prerequisites for another course.
- Courses with a minimum grade required in order to meet certain conditions will not be eligible for the credit/no credit option. Any course listed under admissions conditions in a student’s admissions letter will not be eligible for credit/no credit, including EAP courses. This also includes courses required for Ph.D. qualifying exams.
- Students should check to make sure that they are receiving grades in courses that are required for graduate school, Ph.D. programs, veteran’s benefits, athletic or visa status, etc. Please consult your specialized scholarships and fellowships, or ISO advisor about such requirements.
- A grade of C- and above is considered a credit.
- You will not be able to change the grade mode back to a letter grade once the form is submitted.
If you'd like to request that a course be switched to credit/no credit, please submit a registration transaction form (RTF) with the course that you would like to switch in the Add Course Section and putting an “R” in the grade mode. In the faculty signature box, please put “Change Grade Mode and email it to [email protected] from your GW email address with the subject line “Spring 2021 Credit/No Credit Request” from April 15th, 2021 through April 29th, 2021 at 5:00pm for the Spring course. Please note that you must fully fill out the RTF with all of the relevant information in order to be processed in a timely manner.
Please note: you may be required to download Adobe Acrobat to complete the form, which you can do here. Please download the form to sign. If you have any questions or need technical assistance with Adobe Acrobat, please contact the SEAS Computing Facility at [email protected] or by calling (202) 994-0123.